Divine Healing Sermons Part 3

cannot supply my need, I must pass on in further

search of help from another source."



"And we, 7 ' say the tired, discouraged feet, "are

also glad that in a far off land, He gave the weary

rest ; and they, who had well nigh lost the faith and

trust in their fellow-man, found truth and grace in

Him.



"But you say He is afar off now? That we live

in a different dispensation? His promises were

largely for the Jewish people anyway ? Then there 's

not much for us here, so we walk past your door

seeking elsewhere a haven of rest and hope."



"And we," the glad, young, joyous feet, send up a

rippling echo from the pavement, "we are in search

of something that can give us joy and happiness to-

day. You say God 'used' to make His little ones so

happy that they danced and shouted for joy. We,

too, want joy ! Not the joy that 'used' to be but joy

of heart today. As it is taken away from the church,

we seek it in the world."



"And we," say the heavy, groping, lonely feet,

"are bereaved and seek comfort and rest. For us

the shades of night are falling. The knowledge that

Christ 'once' dried tears and bare the heavy load is

blest indeed, but Oh!, we of today need succor now.

Preaching 'The Great I WAS' can never satisfy our

longings, WE NEED 'THE GREAT I AM.'



' ' The Great I AM ' 'why yes ! That 's it exactly !

That's what this old world needs. A Christ who

lives and loves and answers prayer today. A Christ

who changeth not but is the same today as He was

yesterday, and will be evermore. A Christ whose

power knows neither lack nor cessation. A Lord



Fifteen







whose Name is "I AM" forever, even unto all genera-

tions.



When the Lord bade Moses go, call the children of

Israel from the flesh pots and bondage, sin and sick-

ness of Egypt, Moses inquired of Him, "When they

shall ask who sent me? and What is His Name?

what shall I say unto them?" and He said 1 , "Thus

shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath

sent me unto you. This is my Name forever, and this

is my memorial unto all generations."



Oh, what a wonderful Name ! What a wonderful

promise ! Glory ! Glory ! to God !



Moses did not need to go about apologetically and

say, M 'The Great I WAS' hath sent me unto you, His

name is 'I WAS' because He 'used' to do great things

long ago. He expended the last of His power in

creating the heavens and the earth and all that in

them is. He is quite far off now and the necessity

for this miraculous manifestation of His power is no

longer needed, seeing that all things have now been

created. He does not do mighty works today but

please come, follow and obey the message of 'The

Great I WAS. ' :



Why, I doubt whether they would have followed

such a call. The message which Moses bore rang

clear and firm "I AM hath sent me." He walked

with assurance. The solid rock was under his feet.

His God was a living God a miracle-working God.

Moses knew his business was to preach and deliver

the message God had given him. "The Great I AM"

had contracted to back up that message with signs

following. ' ' I AM I AM I AM ! ' ' rang in the ears

of Moses every step he took.



Ah ! It gives a servant of God some heart to know



Sixteen







that "I AM" hath sent him. No more apologizing.

No more hanging the head and resorting to earthly

means; no more trembling and fear of failure, no

dread now that the crowds will not follow ! Head

erect, footsteps firm and full of assurance, earthly

temple clad with a robe of the majesty and tender-

ness of the Father, hands pointing unhesitatingly to

the w r ay, voice ringing clear and authoritative "I

AM, I AM hath sent me unto you" !



" 'I AM' lives today. He will tabernacle in our

midst. 'I AM' will deliver us from our enemies. He

will guide us by His hand. 'I AM' will feed us with

the bread from the heavens and give us water from

the rock. 'I AM' will deliver us from the sickness

and the diseases of the Egyptians, saying, 'If you will

walk in My ways and keep My statutes none of the

diseases which have been put upon the Egyptians

shall come nigh you. 'I AM' will lead us into the

promised land



Oh, the blessed assurance, the authority, the majes-

tic glory of the name "I AM !" No wonder the chil-

dren of Israel left the flesh-pots and the bands that

bound them. No wonder the weary eyes of the toiler

looked up with new interest and hope. No wonder

that hands which had hung down were lifted and the

feeble knees made strong when Moses could promise

them that when the Lord said unto those which were

weak, "Be strong and of good courage, for the Lord

will do great things," He meant just what He said.

He did not have to say, "The Lord 'used' to do great

things," but could triumphantly declare, "The Lord

'will' do great things; for He is 'The Great I AM,'

and though heaven is His home, the earth is His foot-

stool where He answers the prayers of His people."



Seventeen







During Moses' ministry, the sick were healed, the

lepers cleansed, the plague stayed.



Oh, Moses how we envy you, the great commis-

sion, GO ! call my people out of bondage into liberty ;

out of darkness into light ; out of sin into holiness ;

out of sickness into health ! But tell us, just when

did the day of supernatural, miraculous manifesta-

tion of the power of God end? When did "I AM"

become "I WAS?"



Why, little children, "I AM" hath never changed!

His power is just the same in this thy day as it was

in the days of yore. Did He not say, "This is My

Name forever even unto ALL generations"? They

who have faith shall see the lightnings of His glory

flash in power of answered prayer today, as in the

days of old. Elijah and Elisha lived in a day when

doubters said the miraculous had passed away and

"I AM" had become "I WAS." But through faith

and prayer they proved His name to be "I AM" unto

their generations. After the ascension of the Only

Begotten of the Father, Jesus Christ, the disciples

proved that "He who was dead is alive forevermore"

the Great I AM, who saves and heals and baptizes

with the Spirit's power.



On and on through the centuries, though surround-

ed by unbelief and skepticism; there have always

been the Elijahs and the Peters who have proved

that "I AM" is His Name even unto their generation.

John Wesley believed that Christ was not only to

save but to heal the sick in his day. In his biography

he tells of the lame made to walk, cancers which

melted away and even a lame horse made whole



Eighteen







through answered prayer; thus proving "I AM" to

be the Lord's Name even unto his generation.



Then surely He has not changed at this late hour !

Surely, He is the same today. Elijah, Peter, John

Wesley and an army of others who had heard and

obeyed the message, "Thus shall you say I AM hath

sent me/ 7 were ridiculed and persecuted by those

they loved the best. Even so today, though it means

being despised and misunderstood, get alone in the

wilderness of quiet and stillness before God. Seek

His face till your soul is kindled with the flame of

love from the burning bush. Get your authority

from God. Inquire of Him, "When they shall ask

who sent me and what is his name ? what shall I say

unto them?" Hear His reply, "Thus shalt thou say

unto them, 'I AM' hath sent me" and let it ring in

your soul forever, louder, clearer, more wonderful in

its revelation of the ever-living Christ with each new

step and turn of the way. Victory is assured and

the only solution to the problem of drawing the mul-

titude is to lift up, not the dead, but the living

Christ; not the Great "I WAS" but the Great "I

AM."



Thanks ! Thanks ! for that message, dear Lord.

The clouds of uncertainty are dispelled the shades

of night rolled back. We see Thee in a new and

glorious light, even as the Sun of Righteousness with

healing in Thy wings. "I AM" is Thy Name today

and shall be evermore !



"I AM the Lord, I change not."



"I AM the Lord that hath chosen thee and called

thee by thy name."



"I AM come down to deliver thee and to bring



Nineteen







thee up into a good land and a large ; unto a land

flowing with milk and honey. ' '



"I AM (not I WAS but I AM) the Lord that heal-

eththee."



"I AM He who was dead but am alive forever-

more."



"I AM Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the

end, the first and the last."



How the "I AMS" of the Lord come rolling in, like

the billows of a full, o 'erflowing sea, whose tide rises

higher toward down-bending heavens.



Glory ! Glory ! My own poor heart is running

over like a tiny cup that would seek to hold the

ocean! God is speaking in my ears, "I AM THAT I

AM.' 7 The earth resounds with His voice. The

eternal hills and the mountains swell the song, "I AM

shall be My Name f orevermore. ' ' And away up yon-

der the glorious stars of the heaven echo back again

"Even unto all generations this shall be my

Name." Angels and cherubim bend low over heav-

en's balustrade and sing a new song of inspiration

"Go forth, my child, and this thy cry shall be, 'I AM

I AM hath sent me unto thee'."



Again. I see the steepled church. But now the

scene is changed.



"Pat! Pat! Pit-a-pat" -The street that lies be-

fore it is still with people filled But they are no

longer passing "by"- The crowds are passing "in."

They fill the pews and the galleries. They stand in

the aisles and climb to the window sills. They pack

the doorways and stand on the stairs. The streets

and the lanes are filled. The Gospel nets are full to

the bursting and there is no more room to contain

the multitudes that throng the place.



Twent}'







And out o'er the heads of the people I hear the

message ring :



"Awake! thou that sleepest, arise -from the dead!

The Lord still lives today. His power has never

abated. His Word has never changed. The things

He did in Bible days, He still lives to do today. Not

a burden is there He cannot bear nor a fetter He

cannot break.



"Here bring your sins, He'll wash them away.

Here bring your sicknesses He'll heal you today.

We serve not a dead but a living God not 'I WAS,'

but 'The Great I AM.'



"Come young, come old; come sad, come glad;

come weary and faltering of step ; come sick, come

well ! come one, come all unto i The Great I AM. '

There is food for the hungry, there is strength for the

faint ; there is hope for the hopeless, and sight for

the blind."



"Pit-a-pat! Pit-a-pat!" Faster and faster they

come ! The church is o 'erflowing ; they are filling the

streets. Their faces are shining; in their eyes the

light of hope has been kindled by the taper of faith

through the preaching of "The Great I AM."



They are reaching out their hands for forgiveness,

for the healing of the crippled and sick. They are

thirsting for the joy of salvation; hungering for the

Bread of Life. They are seeking the power of the

Holy Ghost and something practical which can meet

the immediate and pressing need of the great today,

and fit them for the morrow. And they have found

the source of sure supply in the church the house of

God from under whose altar and o 'er whose thresh-

hold runs the ever deepening stream of life. They

seek no further, through the briers of the world



Twenty-one







they have found "The Great I AM" and sing:



"Wisdom, righteousness and power,



Holiness forevermore



My redemption full and sure,



Christ is all I need."



Burdens are lifted, tearful weeping eyes are dried,

the sick are healed, the crooked made straight. Sin-

guilty hearts are cleansed and made holy. Empty

water-pots are filled with wine. And the cold, world-

ly church has risen from the dust in garments glister-

ing, white. With oil in their lamps and sheaves in

their arms they worship "The Great I AM."







Twenty -two







A Double Cure For A Double Curse



When Satan entered the purity of the Garden of Eden,

in the form of a serpent, two "angels of darkness" fol-

lowed hard on his trail his coming brought the double

curse of Sin and Sickness.



When Christ came into the dying world to redeem it

from the curse, there came in His blessed footsteps "two

angels" of light and hope His coming brought the double

cure, Salvation and Healing.



In the beginning the world emerged from under

the hand of God, good, and pure and perfect.



In the Garden of Eden, the most perfect spot in a

perfect world, He placed the perfect man and woman,

Adam and Eve, whom He had formed from the dust

of the ground and into -whose nostrils He had

breathed the breath of life.



In innocence and purity they dwelled 'neath the

flowing boughs and trailing flowers of rich fruit-la-

den trees. Busy bees droned contentedly in the per-

fumed air as the golden, mellow sunlight of a perfect

day filtered through the dense green foliage of leaf

and branch and splashed upon a floor carpeted with

violets, moss and lichen. Birds of rich plumage flit-

ted from tree to tree, and high above it all a songful

lark sprang high into the open heaven showering the

air with musical praise.



Into the tranquil beauty of this garden which His

own loving hand had planted, God loved to walk in

the cool of the day, communing with man whom He

had made after His own image, and filled with His

breath Divine.



How peaceful their abode ! How blessed their

communion ! How blissful their freedom of body,

soul and- spirit ! Theirs but one requirement faith

in the Word of the Father and obedience to His com-

mand.

BE HEARD. SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS HERE!

top